If you expect older visitors this season, check your home for hazards. Older adults often have impaired balance and vision. This makes them prone to falling, especially in new surroundings. And fragile skin and bones can mean double trouble if someone does take a spill. Here are some tips:
Early darkness and wet walkways can add to risk of a fall. Turn on outdoor lighting and make sure stairs have a sturdy handrail.
- Clear the floor! Store away toys, piles of books. Avoid slippery wax floor finishes and tape down area rugs.
- Eliminate extension cords from walking areas.
- Be mindful of fire hazards. If you’re plugging in an extra heater, place it at least three feet from anything flammable.
- Review seat height. Seating that is low, angled back, or lacks side arms can pose problems for elders. Add a firm cushion to raise the seat.
If your guest must use stairs, make sure they are well lit, without glare or strong shadows. Consider night-lights, and point out where light switches can be found.
- Install night-lights to light the path to the bathroom. Also provide an easy-to-reach bedside lamp.
- Check bed height. If it’s too high, provide a platform step. If too low, add risers. (These are sturdy plastic “cups” that raise each leg of a bed. Also useful for couch or chairs.)
- Clear the floor! Remove throw rugs. Ensure pet bowls and toys aren’t underfoot.
- Avoid scald burns. Put red electrical tape on hot water knobs as a reminder to take caution. (Turning the water heater down is no longer recommended because bacteria can breed at lower temperatures.)
Prevent slipping by placing a large, nonskid mat in tub or shower. A shower chair makes for a safer shower. Check the thrift store or borrow a neighbor’s.
This article is brought to you by A Family Member HomeCare.
Might you or a loved one benefit from home care?
Check out our services
- Home care in Aventura and neighboring communities
- Home care in Boca Raton and neighboring communities
- Home care in Coconut Creek and neighboring communities
- Home care in Fort Lauderdale and neighboring communities
- Home care in Pembroke Pines and neighboring communities
- Home care in Pompano Beach and neighboring communities
- Home care in Tamarac and neighboring communities